Blackbird Academy has been instructing students in the art of Irish dance in several locations in the south suburbs of Chicago since 1995. Teachers include Mary (Hughes) McQuillan, Eileen O’Neill, TCRG, and Stephanie (Hughes) Gallagher. Teachers Mary McQuillan and Eileen O’Neill are former Midwest Champion dancers previously under the instruction of Dennis and Marge Dennehy. Stephanie Gallagher is also a former Midwest Champion dancer from the Dennehy School.
- Produces a School Recital every year.
- Performs at Gaelic Park during “Irish Week” (the week before St. Patrick’s Day).
- Marches in the annual Tinley Park St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- Students participate in numerous local competitions (feiseanna) as well as the Mid-America Oireachtas, North American Championships, All Irelands, and World Championships and have won many trophies and medals throughout the course of these competitions.
- Performs at various functions, weddings, retirement parties, birthdays, anniversary dinners etc.